Museums and Galleries
Kerching Retail can support Museums, Art Galleries and Theatres improve commerciality and sustainability in the following ways:
- Retail Consultancy and strategic advice
- New venture feasability
- Retail study or retail review
- Store design
- Layout Planning & space management
- Keynote speaker
- Workshops and masterclasses
- Staff training
- Point of sale or POP design
- Product profiling, development and selection
- Strategic & Business Planning
- Design services – packaging, signage,
- Mystery Shopping
Our work is often funded through Regional Museum Services, DMOs and the Arts Council under the umbrella of improving sustainability and commerciality within the cultural sector.
Whilst we apply a consistent methodology to improving sustainability for arts and cultural venues, no two projects are the same and we work hard to leverage the unique potential of places, products, presentation and people. We take pride in providing imaginative and creative solutions that can enhance the visitor attraction and generate growth in income.
We are always happy to discuss your ideas with no obligation.
Our clients include:
- National Space Centre
- Snibston Discovery Centre
- Creswell Crags
- Theatre Royal, London
- Harley Gallery
- Circus – Stratford London
- The Old Rectory
- Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
- Sir John Moore Foundation
- Guildhall, Leicester
- Foxton Locks Museum
- Discover Centre, London
- Ashby Museum
- Carillon Loughborough
- Charnwood Museum, Loughborough
- Jain Centre
- Moira furnace
- Chain Bridge Forge
- Kettering Museum
- Hinckley Museum
We are delighted to have worked with a range of museums and art galleries of all shapes and sizes. No project is too big or too small.
Outline of typical workshop:
"Retailing best practise in the Museum and Art Gallery Sector".
Ideal for upskilling operation management, shop staff, front of house and volunteers.
Overview: Fast paced session covering a wide range of retailing techniques, relevant to the museum, visitor information, art gallery and theatre sector, used to drive conversion and average spend. Content will be tailored for your specific needs and will likely include:
- Hotspots &/or windows
- Visual Merchandising
- Display techniques
- Stimulating the senses – music, touch, taste, scent
- Pricing strategy
- POP, POS & signage
- Retail theatre
- Soft selling
- Rapport building and understanding customer types
- Using persuasive techniques, scarcity, social influence, authority, reciprocity
- Delivering memorable customer service
Delegates will receive slide notes and be invited to receive follow-up emails (4-6) of key actions.
Outline of typical Retail Review
Comprehensive Retail Review and Assessment.
A review of the existing retail offer, operations & performance standards, benchmarked to sector best practise – and aspirations of the institution management.
From a visit and report we could provide you with a sound foundation for developing the retail offer across your museum, gallery or theatre, using our bespoke retail analytics diagnostic. We have found our work and documentation lives beyond the initial project, becoming a guide for future retailing decisions – almost as a working handbook.
Phase 1: 1 day
- Meet with management team discuss plans, opportunities and current challenges.
- Visit the operation to fully understand its offer.
- Perform a 70x point retail assessment of offer and any other commercial opportunities highlighted. Within the 70x point diagnostic we would look at visibility, price tickets, pricing strategy, layout, product mix, display, retail theatre, product mix and so on. We would also monitor staff behaviour and visitor interactions.
- Should you wish, we can review alternative commercial opportunities (room hire for example, friends of the museum/gallery, attracting donations and positioning of the retail offer locally).
- Take photographs of site, products and displays
Phase 2: 1 day
- Create and publish a document/report of findings.
- Include retail best practise guide to assist with front of house learning and development
- We will include specific references and contacts with our recommendations.
Phase 3: ½ day
- Deliver paper and pdf copy of report and suggestions, incl. action plan of highlights – highlighting best opportunities and retail product recommendations where applicable.
Get in Touch
We're always happy to have a relaxed discussion about your project, or make a proposal to secure funding. Please email or call.
Tel: 01455 203 206